Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Big Boy Bed

So we had been shopping around for a bed to get Charley since he is a big boy now and.... we needed the crib for Izyk. We settled on a cubby bed we found online, however, it was about $300 and more than what we had planned on spending. After Shauna did some spying on her usual blog viewing of people she has never met or even know, on one of the blogs they had built their own headboard for their kids bed. It turns out they found the instructions on a website which they so kindly posted the link for others to go and view the possibilities of beds to build yourself. After searching Shauna found the same bed we wanted and if we built it, would cost half as much. So she printed out the instructions and I was to build my first bed. (insert excitement here)

I finally decided to go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get the supplies needed to build the bed............ four hours later I came home with all the wood needed to build the bed. I say four hours because I had to go back and forth between the two. (Keep in mind this should have only been an hour if I had planned better) I first went to Lowe's and after an hour or so figured out the amount of wood to buy with as little scrap as possible. I then proceeded to look through all the wood to find good pieces to use... unfortunately they had one good piece and that was about it. I also found out after looking through all the wood available that the saw was broken and they wouldn't be able to cut anything for me. (I also have to get everything to fit in our Toyota Matrix) So went to Home Depot to see what they had and see if their saw was up and running. It was, so I then started looking for the wood... which there was one... (insert anger) So I had to reevaluate my options and at this time just wanted to get home. I just crabbed the best looking pieces and dealt with what I got.

So I got the wood finally and to make this longer story shorter, had some bad cuts on the wood, premature sanding, and a few other hiccups, but got it all together.

Now I had offers to help with the building of the bed, but decided since both Grandpa's would be visiting I would have each one help out in the building. The reason I wanted this was so there was a bit of history or story with the bed. The bed ended up being built in three sections which worked out perfectly. The staining and clear coat was left for Papa Nichols since he was the last to visit. Everything turned out pretty well considering. Here are the pics with Charley mans AWESOME bedding.








No comments: